France based prominent cryptocurrency hardware company, Ledger, updated its firmware version from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1 on 6th of March. This is a very important firmware update because now you can install up to 18 apps at the same time on your Ledger device. Earlier, this limit was 4 to 5 apps for Ledger Nano S and 8 to 10 apps for Ledger Blue. Ledger has also made its security features more robust than before. You’ll also find some functional changes. So in this post, I’ll be discussing on how to update Ledger Nano S firmware version. Apart from that we’ll also see how to update Ledger Nano S MCU firmware version; if device asked you to update.
Ledger has been continuously improving its hardware wallets by introducing more security features and adding more coins. Recently, it’s updated its firmware version from 1.3.1 to 1.4.1. Ledger Nano S latest firmware update brings security improvements and functional changes. This is certainly a significant firmware update. Let’s see what you’ll get after updating your Ledger Nano S.
- Earlier, the number of apps that could be installed on Ledger Nano S was 4 to 5 but most of the users were able to install only 4 apps. But in Ledger Nano S latest firmware update, this limit is up by 12 to 13 apps. Now you’ll be able to install up to 18 apps on your Ledger device. Though, the number of apps which can be loaded on Ledger Nano S depends on the size of the apps but, to my mind, you could easily install 10 to 15 apps.
- Now you can lock your device screen by pressing both buttons for 3 seconds. Previously, there was no option to lock device and it used to get locked automatically after few minutes of inactivity.
- After some cache optimizations, developers have managed to make this device slightly faster than before.
- While setting up your device, Ledger used to ask to enter some words from your recovery seed. But now if you’re setting up your device, you’ll have to enter and confirm all 24 seed words. This is indeed hectic but very important update to make sure you’ve written your recovery seed correctly.
FAQs on Ledger Nano S Firmware and MCU Update
What if I don’t update my Ledger device?
Nothing will happen. It’s not mandatory to update Ledger Nano S or Blue. However, you should update it to unlock new features and updates for example you’ll be able to install up to 18 apps. At the top, latest update brings some security improvements therefore just to keep your device secure, keep it up to date.
How many apps will I be able to install after updating my Ledger Nano S or Blue?
It depends upon the size of the apps. According to Ledger, you can install up to 18 apps on your Ledger device depending on the cryptocurrencies you install. Some wallet apps occupy more space therefore this number may vary. However, you’ll be able to install 10 to 15 apps easily.
Important points to remember before updating Ledger Nano S
- Make sure you’ve your 12, 18, or 24 recovery seed handy. Though, Ledger Nano S firmware update will not wipe off your recovery seed from your device. But you should have your recovery seed; in case something wrong happens.
- After updating your device, all of your cryptocurrency wallet apps will be removed from your device. But, your cryptocurrencies will not be affected. When you will reinstall your apps, you’ll be able to access your funds. Note: “All apps can be installed/uninstalled without any risk to lose your funds,” from Ledge Official blog.
- Update may take 15 minutes or more so be patient.
- If after the update, you get following error “MCU firmware is outdated” then you’ll have to update your MCU firmware also. It’s very easy. I’ll show you how to do so.
Let me first show you how to update Ledger Nano S firmware.
How to Update Ledger Nano S Firmware?
First of all, connect your device to your computer and unlock it by using its PIN, as usual you do. (Forgot PIN? Know how to reset Ledger Nano S PIN)
Open Ledger Manager app and from the sidebar, click on FIRMWARES.
Now, click on Install button.
Now, to confirm the update, from your Ledger device, press right button or button above the tick mark.
If you’re seeing above error “Unable to install OS updater” then don’t worry. You’re seeing this error due to insufficient space. Now, to install Ledger Nano S latest firmware, first, you will need to uninstall some apps (which are installed on your device) to vacant some space. Simply, click on Applications to remove some apps from your device. Note: Don’t worry, you will not lose your funds.
Now, click on delete button to uninstall an app. I suggest you uninstall more than one app.
After uninstalling, 2 or 3 apps, again go to Firmwares section and click on Install button. Note: If you see that error again then you’ll have to uninstall more apps.
Next, you’ll have to confirm the update by pressing right button from your device and entering your PIN.
That’s it. You’ve successfully updated Ledger Nano S hardware wallet.
If your device is asking to update MCU firmware version then read on to know how to update Ledger Nano S MCU firmware version.
How to Update Ledger Nano S MCU Firmware version?
If you’re seeing following message “MCU firmware is outdated” on your device screen then follow the next steps to update it.
Let Ledger Manager app open and disconnect your Ledger Nano S.
Now, reconnect your Ledger Nano S using its USB cable but before that press left button (button close to the USB port) and hold it for 5 seconds (after connecting it to your computer).
Your Ledger Nano S MUC firmware will update now. Don’t press any button, just wait untill MCU firmware updates.
After updating the device, you can access your wallet by entering your PIN. Note: There will be only settings. You’ll have to install the apps again.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully updated Ledger Nano S firmware and MCU version.